This prize is awarded annually (or less frequently) by the Division for Planetary Sciences (DPS) of the American Astronomical Society.
- The Harold Masursky Award for Meritorious Service to Planetary Science (hereafter referred to as the Masursky Award) was established by the DPS to recognize and honor individuals who have rendered outstanding service to planetary science and exploration through engineering, managerial, programmatic, or public service activities.
- For purposes of this award, planetary science and exploration shall be understood to refer to the multidisciplinary study of our solar system and its members, as well as other planetary systems and their members, excluding work dealing primarily with the Sun or the Earth.
- Candidates for the Masursky Award may be of any age or nationality, and need not be members of the DPS. While primarily intended to honor living people, a posthumous nomination may be submitted within one year of a nominee's death.
- The Masursky Award is generally given for accomplishments outside of the normal work duties of the nominee.
- The recipient of the Masursky Award will be selected by the DPS Committee using such procedures as it may adopt. The Committee has the sole authority to select recipients, as well as the option not to make the Award in any year, at its discretion.
- The Masursky Award will consist of a certificate and (except for a posthumous recipient) a cash award, in an amount to be determined by the DPS Committee. Under special circumstances, travel expenses in association with the presentation of the award may also be supportable. In the case of a posthumous recipient, there generally will be no cash award, but reasonable travel expenses will be offered for an appropriate survivor to attend the DPS meeting and receive the prize certificate and citation.
- The Masursky Award will normally be presented to the recipient at the annual meeting of the DPS.
|Masursky Award Winners|
|2011||Benton C. Clark III|
|2008||Jon D. Giorgini|
|2005||J. Kelly Beatty|
|2003||Reta F. Beebe|
|2000||Geroge E. Brown, Jr.|
|1999||Wesley T. Huntress|
|1998||Jurgen H. Rahe|
|1997||John T. Trauger|
|1994||Joseph A. Burns|
|1993||Mildred S. Matthews|
|1992||Harlan J. Smith|
All DPS members are encouraged to submit nominations for the Masursky Award.