Issue 23-07, March 27, 2023
- CALL FOR DPS PRIZE NOMINATIONS (DUE APR 15)
- HYBRID SCIENCE LECTURE WITH UPDATES FROM JWST, APRIL 6
- WOMEN AND GIRLS IN ASTRONOMY PROJECT MINI-GRANTS OPPORTUNITY
- SBAG STEERING COMMITTEE POSITIONS OPEN
- NEOWISE 2023 DATA RELEASE
- JOBS, POSITIONS, AND OPPORTUNITIES
CALL FOR DPS PRIZE NOMINATIONS (DUE APR 15)
Deadline: April 15, 2023 (A little over two weeks left!)
Every year the DPS recognizes exceptional achievement in our field. Please consider nominating a respected colleague for one of the annual DPS prizes.
The DPS sponsors six prizes:
(1) The Gerard P. Kuiper Prize recognizes and honors outstanding contributors to the field of planetary science.
(2) The Claudia J. Alexander Prize recognizes excellence and achievements by a mid-career scientist.
(3) The Harold C. Urey Prize recognizes and encourages outstanding achievements in planetary research by an early-career scientist.
(4) The Harold Masursky Award recognizes and honors individuals who have rendered outstanding service to planetary science and exploration.
(5) The Carl Sagan Medal recognizes and honors outstanding communication by an active planetary scientist to the general public.
(6) The Jonathan Eberhart Planetary Sciences Journalism Award recognizes distinguished popular writing on planetary sciences.
DPS members and the planetary science community-at-large are encouraged to submit nominations for DPS prizes. Please fill out the nomination form and it will be submitted to the prize subcommittee:
Questions: Email [email protected]
HYBRID SCIENCE LECTURE WITH UPDATES FROM JWST, APRIL 6
Join the LPI for a hybrid presentation (in-person and online) by Dr. Ian Wong of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. Dr. Wong will provide a high-level overview of some of the highlights from the first year of JWST solar system observations and discuss how these results will revolutionize our understanding of solar system formation and evolution.
This event will be held in-person and online on Thursday, April 6. The presentation will begin at 7:30 p.m. CT (8:30 p.m. ET/ 6:30 p.m. MT/ 5:30 p.m. PT).
To learn more, please visit: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/features/2023/032223/cess/
WOMEN AND GIRLS IN ASTRONOMY PROJECT MINI-GRANTS OPPORTUNITY
The Women and Girls in Astronomy Project (WGAP) will target aspiring astronomers and current professionals alike, establishing a network to uplift, educate, connect with, and provide opportunities to women and girls. Ten unique astronomy projects will be selected and awarded $1,000 USD mini-grants. The projects must take place in Canada, United States, the Caribbean, Mexico, or Greenland. Projects are encouraged to approach astronomy from a unique lens, including, but not limited to, scientific, social, technical, cultural, and artistic perspectives.
Read more and find out how to apply at
SBAG STEERING COMMITTEE POSITIONS OPEN
The Small Bodies Assessment Group is seeking applications for five positions for the SBAG Steering Committee, with three-year terms starting August 2023. The SBAG Steering Committee organizes SBAG meetings, writes the official SBAG findings, and takes a leadership role in other activities where community input on topics of interest is needed.
1. Human Exploration Lead: An individual actively involved in studying human exploration and is aware of the current challenges and progresses in this field to lead SBAG activities relevant to human exploration.
2. Early Career Secretary: A person who can support the Steering Committee in all aspects of its meetings and operation. They should have less than 3 years experience after a terminal degree (Ph.D., Masters, or Bachelors). This position is a 2.5-year term.
3. Three at-large members: Any member of the small bodies community from any career stage is welcome to apply.
The application requires: 1) a two-page CV, including a description of participation in SBAG or other small bodies organizations, and 2) a short (300 words maximum) statement of interest. Criteria for selection are: participation in small bodies community organizations, leadership experience, and relevant research or mission experience. In support of diversity, applicants may specify gender, whether they belong to an underrepresented group in STEM, or other additional relevant information. E-mail applications to Lori Feaga ([email protected]) by May 5, 2023, 8:00 PM EDT. New members will be announced at the 29th Meeting of SBAG in July 2023.
NEOWISE 2023 DATA RELEASE
The Near-Earth Object Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (NEOWISE) and IPAC at the California Institute of Technology announce the NEOWISE 2023 Data Release.
The 2023 Release includes data acquired during the ninth year of the NEOWISE Reactivation mission (Mainzer et al. 2014, ApJ, 792, 30), 13 December 2021 to 13 December 2022. These data are combined with those from Years 1-8 into a single archive that contains ~22.9 million sets of 3.4 and 4.6 micron images and a database of ~171 billion source detections.
NEOWISE scanned the sky ~18 times during the first nine years of survey operations, with approximately six months between survey passes. Twelve or more independent exposures are made on each sky position during each epoch making the NEOWISE archive a time-domain resource for extracting multiple, independent thermal flux and position measurements of solar system small bodies and background galactic and extragalactic sources.
A guide to the NEOWISE data release, data access instructions, and supporting documentation are available at http://wise2.ipac.caltech.edu/docs/release/neowise/.
NEOWISE is a joint project of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory/California Institute of Technology and the University of Arizona, funded by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration Planetary Science Division.
JOBS, POSITIONS, AND OPPORTUNITIES
No new positions were sent to the newsletter in the last two weeks. Recent openings and opportunities are listed below and many more are at the link above.
Send submissions to: Maria Womack, DPS Secretary ([email protected])
To unsubscribe from this list please go to https://lists.aas.org/confirm/?u=WumMgxrgIYvmfnfPIPRxfPgLc6qriC4R