The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology invites applications for a staff Scientist in the Laboratory Studies group in the Planetary Science Section at JPL. In this position, you will conduct origin of life/prebiotic chemistry experimental studies and related astrobiology research. You will also participate in mission formulation activities, with an emphasis on mission concepts involving Ocean Worlds and Mars life detection/habitability. It is expected that the successful candidate will develop an independently funded research program and will pursue new lines of research focusing on experimental origin of life research and life detection. You will be expected to publish in peer-reviewed journals and give talks at national and international conferences.
This position requires the following qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with focus on synthetic organic and/or organometallic chemistry or related technical or scientific discipline
- Experience with experimentation on and analysis of complex organic biological molecules in a planetary context, including mineral / metal driven catalysis of organics.
- Experience in the design, construction and operation of novel experimental systems to address astrobiology questions, esp. high pressure systems; Experience with sample handling and analysis of oxygen sensitive materials.
- Demonstrated professional reputation as a productive researcher with a track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at national and/or international conferences
- Familiarity with/ongoing participation in the astrobiology community, and in relating experimental studies and techniques to mission relevant strategic efforts
The following qualifications are preferred:
- 3-5 years of related post-doc experience
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team of experimental scientists
- Experience coordinating experiments and analysis between institutes / NASA centers / local universities and non-profits
- History of writing successful external research funding proposals
- Excellent oral (including public speaking) and written communication skills
To view the full description of this unique opportunity and apply, please visit: https://citjpl.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Jobs/job/JPL-Campus/Research-Scientist–Origin-of-life-Prebiotic-Chemistry_R1926.
Applications received by April 25, 2022, will receive full consideration.