The Mars Research Assistant will work in the Planetary Science research group led by Edwin Kite in the University of Chicago’s Department of Geophysical Sciences. The central objective of the research group is understand the history of Martian habitability. This is a one-year position with possible renewal beyond the first year. Salary will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate. Applications received before 15/10/2018 will receive full consideration. A start date in the range 12/1/2018 – 3/1/2019 is preferred. Later start dates may be negotiated.
- To collect, analyze and validate geologic data using ArcGIS (with a combination of manual, semi-automated, and machine learning tools).
- To use an existing pipeline to generate, evaluate and analyze planetary digital terrain models that incorporate stereo data.
- Depending on the preferences and background of the successful candidate, additional responsibilities may include supervising and training students in GIS, or carrying out independent research projects.
Education, Experience, or Certifications:
- High school diploma required, undergraduate degree in a relevant field is preferred .
- Prior experience, ability and agility with command-line computing environments and with a commonly-used scientific programming language (e.g. MATLAB or Python) required.
- ArcGIS experience is strongly preferred
- A background in planetary science, and/or experience with stereo DTM generation preferred.
- Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University’s Notice of Nondiscrimination.