Planetary geologic maps have been funded by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and published by the USGS since 1961. The USGS Planetary Geologic Mapping Group at the Astrogeology Science Center in Flagstaff, AZ is critically involved in the scientific and technical aspects of geologic mapping process in support of NASA programs. This position is for an IT Specialist to work within the USGS Planetary Geologic Mapping Group in Flagstaff, AZ.
The position will primarily support the creation, review, and production of NASA-funded planetary geologic mapping projects by providing technical support with respect to Geographic Information Systems (GIS), metadata, and cartographic standards. This will include, but is not limited to, managing geospatial databases and data files, documenting and communicating mapping workflows, developing new scientific and/or cartographic tools for planetary data analysis, and routine IT support services.
As an IT Specialist (Applications Software) within the Astrogeology Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Generates GIS databases of specified data, building thematic data layers
- Manages geospatial databases and data files
- Develops new scientific and/or cartographic tools for planetary data analysis
- Scripts Python programs
- Develops, adapts, and implements geospatial data standards
- Trains and directs other personnel in the use of GIS packages, creation of GIS databases, and/or the use of GIS analysis tools
- Tests, installs, implements, documents, and maintains GIS software
- Provides technical guidance in testing, debugging, and maintaining GIS software