Please consider joining the DPS – we are YOUR professional society.
DPS offers affiliate memberships to members of numerous partner organizations including NSBP, NSHP and SACNAS. See the full list here.
The DPS is the world’s largest professional society of planetary scientists. The DPS represents the interests of planetary scientists at all stages of their careers. It promotes the advancement of planetary science to stakeholders including NASA and other government agencies, the public, and federal, state, and local legislatures. As your professional society, the DPS advocates on issues that affect the quality of work and educational environments, as well as the specific conditions that planetary scientists need to do their work. These include:
- Hosting meetings that bring the planetary science community together
- Encouraging support for robust public funding for planetary science
- Supporting quality, affordable education in planetary science
- Advocating for dark skies to foster ground-based observing
- Pushing for fair wages and benefits such as health care, retirement, family leave
- Promoting equitable and inclusive conditions for all
- Creating a welcoming and professional climate that is free of harassment
- Increasing public awareness and interest in planetary science, including the cross-cutting planetary science issues that affect the Earth and all of its inhabitants
- Fostering collaborations with international colleagues
By joining the DPS, you provide support for these activities. You also will enjoy membership benefits such as:
- Networking and information-sharing forums
- Reduced DPS meeting registration rates
- Listing in the AAS online and printed directories
- Service opportunities
- Advancement of common interests through collaborative actions and the recognition of special achievements and contributions
- Reduced rates for subscriptions to Icarus
- Voting in DPS elections
There are many ways to join the DPS, and you don't even need to be a member of the American Astronomical Society!
- For AAS members, go here.
- For non-AAS members, you can join DPS as an affiliate member if you belong to one of our partnering professional societies.