Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer Participation Opportunities
On May 2, 2012, ESA selected the Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer (JUICE) as the first Large-class mission in the Cosmic Vision plan. The JUICE mission will investigate Jupiter and its system, with focus on the icy moons, completing its mission by orbiting Ganymede. The mission is planned for launch in 2022. NASA has offered to contribute a combination of US instrument(s), instrument component(s) for European-led instrument(s), and/or Co-Investigators on European-led instruments, all to total not more than $100M life cycle cost.
We expect 55% of this funding will be used during the instrument development phases and the remaining 45% during operations (cruise and prime science mission). Given the duration of cruise, lean focused science teams will be a necessity.
JUICE instruments are planned to be solicited via a competitive Announcement of Opportunity issued by ESA; a corresponding amendment to SALMON will be released by NASA. Release of these documents is planned for late June 2012.
Scientific objectives, model payload and mission profile can be found in the JUICE Assessment Study Report (Yellow Book) at:
A Federal Business Opportunity (FBO) announcement will be available within the next two weeks.
For more information, contact Curt Niebur (firstname.lastname@example.org).